|SweetWARE Technical Support
nutraCoster automatically creates Ingredient Lists on Nutrition Facts labels, or on the Ingredient List report.
Use the Options for Nutrition Labels to include the Ingredient List with the Nutrition Label.
Here is what you need to know about ingredient labeling regulations.
- Ingredient Lists are required on food product labels in the US and Canada.
- Ingredients are to be listed using the "common or usual name".
- Ingredients are listed in descending order of predominance by weight.
- Ingredients that contain sub-ingredients can be listed in 2 ways.
- If you know the proportions of the sub-ingredients, they can be included in the main Ingredient List, properly sorted in terms of predominance by weight.
- You can list the sub-ingredients in parentheses, listed in descending order of predominance by weight inside the parentheses.
Here are links to the actual labeling regulations.
US: Designation of Ingredients.
Canada: List of Ingredients.
Here is what you need to know about how nutraCoster creates Ingredient Lists.
- Use the Add or Change Master Items procedure to change the Ingredient List Description for each item.
- Each item in the Master Items List has 2 separate descriptions.
- The Item Description which is used when entering recipes and for all of the reports (except the Ingredient List on Nutrition Facts labels and the Ingredient List report). Use the Add or Change Master Items procedure to change the Item Description.
- A separate Ingredient List Description that is used only for the Ingredient List on the Nutrition Facts label and for the Ingredient List report. Use the Add or Change Master Items procedure to change the Ingredient List Description.
- The Ingredient List Description field in the Add or Change Master Items procedure is unlimited length.
- If the cursor reaches the end of the entry field, the field will scroll indefinitely so you can keep typing.
- If you resize the window to make the window taller, the Ingredient List Description field expands to multiple lines.
- When you enter a new item, nutraCoster initializes the Ingredient List Description to be the same as the Item Description. In many cases this is not appropriate for the Ingredient List. You can change the Ingredient List Description to anything you want.
- If an item is missing from your Ingredient List, make sure the Ingredient List Description field is not blank.
- nutraCoster automatically expands all sub-recipes to end-level ingredients. The Ingredient List includes only end-level ingredients and does not list the sub-recipes by name.
- If the same ingredient occurs in more than one sub-recipe, the quantities are combined to calculate the total weight, and the ingredient is listed in the proper order of predominance by weight.
- Similarly, if 2 items have the same Ingredient List Description they are combined in the Ingredient List and listed in the proper order.
- The Ingredient List Descriptions can be any mixture of upper or lower case letters. In general, proper case (first letter of each word capitalized) is easier to read than all upper or all lower case.
- You can enter the Ingredient List Description in both English and French. To do so, enter the full English description first, followed by a vertical bar (|), followed by the full French description.